"Adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex."
-Oscar Wilde

December 7, 2014

The Little Things

Here we are. It is a Sunday. Slightly overcast where I live. About 34 degrees outside. The Weather Channel says it feels like 23 degrees. Approximately 11:15 AM. In December. On the 7th. It is two of my cousins' birthday. I am lying on the couch. In sweatpants. My hands and feet are cold but the rest of me is warm. My mind is all over the place.

Night has fallen now. The moon is full and shining. Clear skies. Stars sparkling. I cannot see them because of the screen on my window. The shades are closed. My room is dimly lit. Cluttered with books and schoolwork. My hands are cold. My hair is up. I am curled up in my white chair, sitting at my white desk. In my yellow room, with my white furniture. My mind reels about the choral concert tomorrow.

Do you ever do that? Stop and think about the little details? The little things going on around you? Sometimes I do. It makes the experience hold a little longer when the memory starts to fade away. I still remember the brilliant blue and snow white of a close friends eyes. The pasty tone of another's skin. The feel of the clear air and overcast shadows, accompanying the chills of the raindrops on my face.

Often I do not remember memories as a whole, or people like a bound book, I remember everything in pieces. The quotes are separate from faces, which are separate from actions, which are separate from characteristics, which are separate from thoughts.

Honestly, it is just one big jumbled up mess.

I think we should not be focused on the big things, we should be aware of them. But no, we need to focus on the little things because that's what we'll remember best when our memories and our minds are slowly slipping away.

I've cleaned out my old posts. I think I know now where I want to go with this blog. When I am feeling passionately about something, I will write a sort of rant. This one wasn't very big or nicely written for that matter, but it is a start.

And a start is all we need.

TK

No comments:

Post a Comment